Excellence ● Dedication ● Experience
In a period of big law firms competing to get bigger, Ed Evans, Mark Haigh, and Melissa Hinton take a different approach. They believe a smaller, more collaborative culture provides the best client service. They have an uncompromising dedication to their clients and excellence. Ed, Mark and Melissa have long been recognized by clients and peers as premier trial lawyers. Members of the firm have been recognized for their dedication and service to clients by being inducted into such prestigious organizations as The American College of Trial Lawyers, International Academy of Trial Lawyers, International Society of Barristers and American Board of Trial Advocates. They are also listed in The Best Lawyers in America and Chambers USA.
The firm provides guidance, assistance and representation in a wide variety of legal fields. They have successfully represented hundreds of clients in all types of litigation, including civil and commercial litigation, labor and employment law, medical, legal and other professional negligence claims, personal injury and product liability cases. Firm members have represented individuals, physicians, hospitals, law firms, national and regional accounting firms and local and state governments. The firm serves as litigation counsel for Sanford Health, the largest not-for-profit rural health care system in the nation. They also defend various professionals appearing before administrative agencies and licensing boards. Beyond litigation, the firm assists healthcare providers in risk management activities.
The firm stresses the importance of giving back to the community with volunteer and pro-bono work as well as serving on several not-for-profit boards of local community organizations. Firm members are active in both local and statewide Bar Association activities and volunteer their time at the USD School of Law.
Always mindful of the need to provide their clients with timely, efficient, knowledgeable and professional advice and representation, the firm succeeds because of its commitment to excellence. This success is demonstrated by their clients’ strong loyalties.
2018: A Year In Review
- Successful defense jury verdict in a 3-week trial alleging malpractice against a children’s hospital and school.
- Successfully represented a physician’s assistant whose license was under investigation by the Minnesota Board of Medicine, the South Dakota Board of Osteopathic and Medical Examiners and The Drug Enforcement Administration resulting in an agreement to resume practice.
- Successfully assisted a license applicant before a South Dakota administrative agency in obtaining licensure.
- Successfully obtained the dismissal of a medical malpractice case alleging negligent administration of medicine to a hospital patient.
- Successfully defended and obtained the dismissal of a lawsuit alleging injuries resulting from a fall in a hospital bathroom.
- Successful defense of a lawsuit alleging malpractice with regard to an independent medical examination.
- Successfully defended a lawsuit alleging malpractice in the care of a patient who developed paralysis.
- Successfully obtained the dismissal of a physician in a malpractice matter alleging injuries resulting from a foreign body reaction.
- Successfully defended a lawsuit against a pathologist in a claim alleging irregularities in autopsy findings.
- Successfully obtained dismissal or a malpractice case alleging bowel perforation during surgery.
- Successfully represented several doctors in inquiries before the South Dakota Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners and Minnesota Board of Medicine.
- Successfully obtained a defense verdict in a 7-day jury trial in a malpractice lawsuit alleging delay in diagnosis of a choledochal cyst.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in federal court dismissing complaint alleging wrongfully termination.
- Successfully represented a nurse in an inquiry before the South Dakota Board of Nursing.
- Successful appeal to the Supreme Court in South Dakota affirming summary judgment in favor of insurance company in a case brought by a policyholder alleging breach of contract and bad faith for failure to pay cancer benefits due under the policy.
2017: A Year In Review
- Successful jury verdict for Defendants in a wrongful death claim alleging that surgeon negligently perforated the superior vena cava during procedure.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal district court dismissing Complaint brought by a former owner of an LLC against the managing partner, a Certified Public Accountant, alleging eight counts, including negligent accounting services, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and punitive damages.
- Successful defense of a member of hospital executive committee in case alleging negligent and bad faith credentialing.
- Successful defense of a hospital and physicians in a case alleging paralysis arising out of an epidural steroid injection.
- Successful defense of surgeons in claim alleging negligence in cholecystectomy resulting in infection.
- Successful defense of podiatrist in claim alleging negligence in care and treatment of Charcot foot resulting in amputation.
- Successful defense of surgeon in claim alleging negligent care and treatment of surgical wound after hernia surgery.
- Successful defense of physician in case alleging perjury in criminal trial.
- Successful defense of wellness center in case alleging negligent supervision resulting in shoulder injury.
- Successful defense of physician alleging improper performance of independent medical examination.
- Successful jury verdict for a neurosurgeon in case alleging misplacement of pedicle screws during spinal surgery and failure to diagnose alleged misplacement of pedicle screws subsequent to spinal surgery.
2016: A Year In Review
- Successful appeal in the Supreme Court of South Dakota affirming jury verdict in favor of general partner in case brought by limited partner alleging breach of fiduciary duty and seeking disassociation for value from the limited partnership.
- Successful jury verdict for Defendant in case against internal medicine physician alleging negligent treatment of rheumatoid arthritis causing osteoporosis.
- Successful jury verdict for Defendant in case in federal district court against pulmonologist alleging negligent delay in diagnosis and treatment of blastomycosis (fungal) infection causing osteomyelitis.
- Successful jury verdict for Defendant in case against chiropractor alleging negligent cervical manipulation causing vertebral artery dissection and stroke.
- Successful jury verdict for Defendant in wrongful death case against general surgeon alleging delay in diagnosis of perforation following laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
- Successful defense of case against two former USDA microbiologists alleging libel and product disparagement by the producers of “lean finely textured beef.”
- Successful appeal to the Supreme Court of South Dakota overturning trial court’s order finding peer review statutes unconstitutional.
- Successful defense of six members of medical executive committee of hospital in case alleging negligent and bad faith credentialing of a spine surgeon.
- Successful defense of wrongful death claim against cardiologist alleging negligent delay in diagnosis and treatment of myocardial infarction.
- Successful defense of case against pulmonologist and family practice physician alleging negligent delay in diagnosis of lung cancer.
- Successful defense of claim against general surgeon alleging negligent performance of Type IV hiatal hernia surgery and follow up care.